Writing awards to celebrate in your library
Australian libraries provide valuable support for Australian authors and publishers in many ways.
- We buy millions of dollars worth of books and ebooks every year.
- We introduce authors to book buyers – people who borrow books also buy them.
- We help people discover and rediscover the joy of reading, creating new audiences.
- Author talks in libraries are a useful source of income for writers and a good way to promote their work.
- Writers and illustrators use library collections as the source for their stories and drawings.
The ALIA has put together this overview of writing awards to help public libraries go even further, by publicising and promoting the very best books for all interests and all ages.
We hope you will promote the shortlisted titles and the winners of your chosen awards, through physical displays, social media and featured items on your website. For more information, contact email@example.com.?
The Australian Book Industry Awards
Every year since 2000, the Australian Publishers Association has presented the?Australian Book Industry Awards (ABIAs).?A diverse and respected judging panel of more than 100 industry figures, publishers and booksellers compile the ABIA books shortlist and select the winners.?The announcement of the winners is the biggest industry event on the nation’s literary calendar, acknowledging the best books and most talented creators.
ALIA and public libraries across Australia support the ABIAs by promoting the shortlist and the winning titles through library displays and social media, and by hosting author visits. This is an important part of the work libraries do in supporting the?Australian book industry.